Tuesday, May 12, 2015

I'm A Food Column Writer? <----- The Question Mark Is On Purpose


Last week I was going about my own business, sitting in a business meeting with my local newspaper when BOOM, a simple comment landed me a new writing obligation opportunity.

Like many small town newspapers, ours is experiencing the growing pains, some might say the death spasms, of traditional print media in a world being overrun with electronics and "right now" news via the myriad choices of computer technology that are available to us. Our newspaper is a scrappy bunch though, who aren't ready to throw in the (paper) towel just yet. Yes they are expanding their online presence. Yes they are cutting the days of the week they are available. But yes, they are also bringing their content back to producing 100% local news, 100% of the time. And adding magazine type features from community members with particular skill sets or areas of expertise. They believe their choices will save them, and I truly hope they're right.

As the meeting was winding down, we were casually kicking around local people who might be able to provide articles of interest for the community, and I offhandedly said "I could write a food column". They jumped straight on it! Wait...what?!?! I was kind of joking. Or was I?  In retrospect I think that I just didn't think that they would take me seriously.

So there you have it, I'm a food column writer now. And at first I was like, "dammit, what did I get myself into?" but after thinking about it for a day or two, I'm stoked. I LOVE the written word. I LOVE my local town. And, I LOVE food.

So the lesson is be careful what you say........or at least be sure that if you make a comment in passing, you mean it at least a little bit!

P.S. I'm totally going to be fine. I have a shit-ton of ideas already :).

No comments:

Post a Comment