Monday, December 29, 2014

It's Official....I Have A "Holiday Tree"

Friday, December 26th
A) I did something I've never done before?
B) Dove into the belly of the beast?
C) Embraced the day after Christmas shopping sale mania?
D) All of the above?
 
All of the above of course. When my brother's fiancé Tristan (I can actually say fiancé now. He asked her to marry him on Christmas Day!!!!) initially asked me if I wanted to go, I was like "sure, like 10AM or so"? Yea right, 8AM....at the mall....on a day off. But, I thought maybe I'd find a deal or two to make it worth while. Plus, it gave me time to spend some girl-time with my (almost) sister.
 
Whatever that place in me is, the place that thinks furious shopping with hundreds of other people for a special deal is kind of silly, well that place must have been sleeping. I got great stuff, lots of it, at great prices! For example, a bowl I had been dying for at Pier 1 which although looks nothing to me like a Christmas item, was classified as such and thus 50% off, four super cute Valentine's Day books that according to the clerk were included in the holiday clearance which made them 60% off, some delish gourmet pickles that were a third of the price they normally are, a few trimmings and stocking stuffers for Christmas 2015, a few sweet deals on clothes for Sam, and me, and the Pièce de résistance...... this tree!
 
The Winter Tree
 
We were waiting in line on Pier 1 and the lady in front of us turned and said "These trees make great Easter decorations. You can hang little eggs from them". This of course got my attention because I equally adore holiday decorating and a multi-use decoration. Once I saw that they were half off, my mind was made up. Tristan's too. We each picked one up and as we were waiting for our turn, started devising plans for ALL of the holidays for which we could decorate the tree. As it turns out, I will never actually be put all the way away!
 
Above is my winter version. So, if you divide the price of the tree by the number of holidays and seasons for which I plan to decorate it (Winter, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Spring, Memorial Day, Summer, 4th of July, Fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas), it comes out to about $1.67 per holiday. Add to that the bells, snowflakes, and pom-poms I purchased at Dollar Tree for about $4 and the winter poinsettia dishes, crystal snowflakes, votives, and tree candy dish that I already had and this beauty cost me about $6 total. I'm adding in fractions of cents for the silver cord I used to string the bells and pom-poms and the time that it took me to put all of it together.
 
I already got much of the ornamentation for Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day during our quick stop at Dollar Tree later that morning so stay tuned for more beautiful decorations.
 
Now to figure out how to organize it all........

Happy New Year everyone!
 
P.S. I'm still NOT going to participate in Black Friday. That's 2 steps beyond for me, even now with my little taste of the awesome savings!

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Had sooo much fun that day, future sistah! Few things make me happier than 1. Shopping with friends and 2. Getting sweet deals!! My tree now has a few ornaments on it for "winter" so I'll send you a picture when I get a few more things on it!

    ReplyDelete