Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Unintentional Epiphany

Untangling the tech?!?!
 
Today, I woke up wound. Amped. Jazzed. I didn't want to be still. It was exactly 3 minutes before the 5:05 alarm. Honestly, who can't use an extra 3 minutes to the day? Luckily for my spirited mood, it's Wednesday. That means it's a running day. I quite literally hit the ground running.
 
Typically I run, then I sit down for 15-30 minutes with my social media but not today. After my run, I was even more amped. Not in an edgy, agitated way, just wanted (NEEDED) to do something, to be busy, to be active. So I jumped straight into the shower, got dressed and ready for work and had almost half an hour to spare.
 
So.....
 
I got a load of laundry put away, another load started, unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, cleaned the kitchen countertop, and still had an extra 5 more minutes than normal to get Sam up and ready for the day. Easily, slowly, and gently. No one was rushed. Everyone had time to move into the day at a comfortable pace. Things I wouldn't have wanted to do tonight when I get home got done. Everyone wins.
 
I never intended to have a 'no social media in the morning' policy. I never committed to 'more work, less mindless scrolling' before work and yet, there you have it. It was unintentional but EUREKA. Shit gets done when I don't pick my phone/tablet/laptop up first thing.
 
I'm still not going to draw any sort of proverbial line in the social media sand but damn if it didn't feel good to start my day happily, productively, and with purpose. I don't need all of the depressing, overly dramatic, sorry state of the world, borderline nuts crap of Facebook to start my day anyway.
 
We'll see if there's any permanent shift in my morning routine. I'm betting on it............

No comments:

Post a Comment