Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The World According To Barney Stinson and Garp

So yesterday sucked. I don't pretend to understand what it is like to be clinically depressed, bipolar, and/or see no way out. And Robin Williams was not a personal friend, nor was he a relative, so my response to the news of his death surprised me. I think it's because he was a giant presence who was just always there in each decade's pop cultural zeitgeist. From my desire and subsequent acquisition of the Mork suspenders in the 70s to my sincere hope that his most recent venture of The Crazy Ones with Buffy herself, Sarah Michelle Gellar, would be wildly funny. Sadly it wasn't but I was rooting for a chance to welcome him into my living room each week!
 
I'm terrible at being sad though. I prefer Barney Stinson's point of view.
 
 
I was also reminded of a line from one of my favorite Robin Williams movies, The World According to Garp. Garp's mother Jenny says "You know, everybody dies. My parents died. Your father died. Everybody dies. I'm going to die too. So will you. The thing is, to have a life before we die. It can be a real adventure having a life."
 
I agree to both......madly; be awesome AND have adventures every chance you get. We have had some pretty cool adventures lately, some big firsts for Sam!
 
The town that I work in has an absolutely ENORMOUS Vietnamese Catholic religious festival in August of every year. The festival is open to the public as well and everyone is welcomed and  invited to visit the festival for information, meals, shopping, and praying with the over 60,000 Fathers, Brothers, Nuns and pilgrims that come from all over the world. I adore Vietnamese food and find the culture fascinating and haven't missed a chance to join them in years. The last 2 years we didn't take Sam so decided to let him experience it with us this year.
 
What to order? What to order?

Boba drinks are awesome!!!!!

You can't go wrong no matter what you choose.

This sauce is yummy mom!

The Pho and summer rolls are our favorite!

Hurry with my mango Boba please!

We also got to spend some time at our area water festival over the weekend. Sam hadn't been able to really enjoy the festival in the past because he wasn't as mobile as he is now. Unfortunately, bad weather cut the day short but the first part was sweet! Sam wasn't quite old enough for the shoebox races but the cool conservation minded schwag, creek side grilled hot dogs, and bounce houses more than made up for that. The cardboard boat races were rained out......maybe next year!

Shoebox races.

Delicious hot dogs!

Bounce houses RULE

 
And finally, not only did Jeff find the most wonderful product for my plantar fasciitis (like seriously, if you suffer from plantar fasciitis, log on to Amazon IMMEDIATELY and order the OrthoSleeve Compression Foot Sleeve) but then my sweet, adorable Sam wanted some "socks to make his foot all the way better like mommy's". His heart makes my heart so full I think I can't hold it all.
 



These are the things I hold on to when life is kicking me in the teeth or shit just gets too real. I encourage everyone to find something in life that is satisfying, that always tastes sweet. For us it's adventures together.

I know for millions it isn't this easy. If you can't find your way out and if you need it, ASK FOR HELP. Do not suffer in silence. No more stigma, no more being ashamed, no more embarrassment, no more torturing yourself. I hope the dialogue on what has been swept under too many rugs for far too long is blown wide open this time. That would be the only good thing that could come of this.

2 comments: