Thursday, August 21, 2014

There's Nothing To Do Around Here.........I Call BS!!!!

I absolutely shudder when I hear people say, there's nothing to do around here. Ok, I know it's part of my job as a Chamber rep to know what is going on in the area but even if it wasn't, I would find a way to find out where the fun is. Why, because I like fun, I like laughing, I like watching Sam laugh, I like creating memories, and I like finding new cool things!
 
Not far from where I live, the Friestatt Lion's Club puts on an Ocktoberfest....in August....in Missouri....outside. Sound hot? It is, but it's also a cheap(ish) night of fun! Bier Garten for mom and dad, carnival rides and games for the kiddos, polka, brats, and strudel for everyone!!!!
 
I hadn't been since I was about 10, and Jeff, Sam, and my brother's girlfriend Tristan had never been. Win, win, win. Sam went absolutely ape for the little car ride and the giant slide and because he's ridiculously adorable, I had a hard time choosing which picture to use to show him off so...........
 
 




 
This is not even all on the same ride cycle, this is three different times. Oh, but there were more rides.
 
 
And then, there was the slide. We spent about $20 (that's why I said cheap(ish) fun above) and half an hour JUST on the slide. I'll bet we went down 8-10 times. Thank goodness there wasn't much of a line. Sam even convinced an always stoic, sometimes stick-in-the-mud Uncle Tyson to go down the slide. That's an achievement!
 



 
So the rides could use a paint job and you couldn't pay me to get on the ferris wheel. Sam didn't notice the chipped paint and the squeaky cars, dragons, lady bugs, and horses were drowned out by his laughter.
 
It also turns out that Tristan has a hell of a throwing arm! Three creepy, stuffed clowns knocked over just like that. One, two three, hello giant teddy bear. Sam loves him and named him Sunshine which is really cool because that's the name of Tristan's blog and there's just no way he could know that. Hmmmmmm. Anyway, a giant blue bear named Sunshine lives in Sam's bed now.
 
 
We had an absolute feast for dinner and I found a new beer that I love.
 
 
My point is this. If you aren't sure what is going on in your area, log on to Facebook, check the bulletin board at the library, or even call your local Chamber or CVB. And NEVER say "there's nothing going on". You may have to drive 30 whole minutes like we did but fun is out there, waiting to be found.
 
Find it!

1 comment: