Thursday, July 3, 2014

Bikini Wax? Did I Go For It......You Bet Your Ass I Did

Last Saturday at my book club, my friend Julie had an awkward question to ask. She is an amazing esthetician and had just returned from a salon show in Las Vegas. She has decided to use a new kind of hard wax for bikini waxes and needed some "models". My immediate question was "Are you going to TAKE PICTURES?!?!?". After a 10 minutes holding our sides, a couple of us falling off of our chairs, style laughter from all of the girls, she assured us that she would not in fact take pictures. And because she needed models to practice on, there would be no charge this first time. What the hell, let's do this.
I checked in at the salon and she took me back to her work room. Every time I've ever been in there for a facial or eyebrow wax, the lights have been dimmed to a relaxing, peaceful spot to facilitate a calm, spa atmosphere. Not this time! I think they were about 600 Watt bulbs in the sockets. And I was already kind of anxiety sweating anyway. then I turn to her chair and see this.

OH! MY! GOSH! Tension broken. You've got to freshen up before your friend gets to the job of waxing away months of unwanted hair right? Why not do it with an I Love My Muff towelet? These things are brilliant. What a way to break the awkwardness in an inherently uncomfortable (at first) situation. Next to the muff freshener was a little cup of numbing cream, (thank you very much!) and a towel to cover up with that at first glance looked to be the size of a postage stamp, eeeeeep!

Here we go. Dancer's pose assumed. For the uninitiated, the dancer's pose is one leg straight, other leg bent outward with the bottom of that foot touching the first leg's knee. On to the waxing. Hot, melted, smurfy blue wax is spread across the hair removal area. This particular wax hardens so quickly that within seconds I felt like a candle. A strange, bright blue, sweaty candle. It was an odd sensation to say the least. The nice thing about the hard wax is that it hardens on the skin enough that it doesn't require strips for removal. No strips, just a hand pulling the skin taut, then RIP!

Ok, that wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated. Several strips in, the teensy, tiny towel flipped off of me but by then I was so comfortable in the moment that I just didn't care anymore. Let's keep going. Good job! More, more! We did stop short of pre-pubescence. It's not my favorite look and frankly the wax was a touch too warm on the more tender areas.

I really thought I was going to be supremely uncomfortable having my friend since the first grade all up (or is that down?) in my business, but I honestly think because we were gabbing as we always do, it made it a much more comfortable, less unpleasant, experience. In fact after we were done, I hopped straight out of the chair and grabbed my undies and skirt while she cleaned up her supplies with nary a break in the conversation. How liberating!! Best part, I'm all ready to go to the lake, with no razor burn, for the 4th holiday!

Verdict? If you are even sort of thinking about getting a bikini wax, research your options and if a hard wax procedure is available in you area, make the call and go! Even better, if you have a friend who is a salon professional, it isn't weird unless you let it be because A) it's their job, and B) their friendship probably has nothing to do with your hoo-haw anyway :).

In other news, Sam really didn't get the full enjoyment out of our fireworks last year that he's clearly going to get this year. Check out his "citement" face.


And this was just from a little preview. I didn't even get the main bag of works out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment