Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Easiest (And Cheapest) Bathtub Paint

Sam has been having kind of a tough time the last couple days. We've been working on more rules and higher behavior expectations as discussed in THIS previous post (he's not a fan), he is cutting a couple lower molars which has resulted in a runny nose and a low grade fever AND he's two. He's just two. Two is hard sometimes. I thought a special, fun bath time treat might be just the thing to bring some cheer to his little heart.
 
You can, and will, find a drazillion recipes for homemade bathtub paint on Pinterest and elsewhere on the internet but this is by far the cheapest, easiest kind I've come across. I purchased a can of shaving cream, food coloring, foam paint brushes, and a muffin tin from Dollar Tree. We had a pair of leftover chopsticks from a carry-out meal, and lots of little puff balls and Q-tips around the house already. And of course, we had our fingers and hands with which to paint.
 
Oooooo, the anticipation. Hurry up mooooooommmmyyyyyyyy.
 
 
I'm so excited to get started!! I've got my paint brushes ready.

 
Mommy put the color in the shaving cream. Time to mix, mix, mix.
 

 
Messy play rules!
 

The aftermath. Yes the water looks like toxic waste when you're done. And yes, because Sam is blond, we had to run fresh water from the tap to wash his hair so it wouldn't be toxic waste colored also.
 

 
Filling the tin with water and dumping it over and over again turned out to be a fun game for Sam also. I took this opportunity to run some water over Sam's wall paintings so it wouldn't stain. I don't really think there's enough food coloring in the shaving cream to stain but why risk it?
 
Sam was interested in how different items would paint the walls so I think next time I'll add some different types of brushes, cotton balls, kitchen tools, leaves, toys, and whatever else we can find to test that question.
 
Happy painting!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment