Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Sink or Float, More Bath Time Fun

After Monday night's bath tub painting fun, I wanted to provide Sam another activity that would be fun in the tub, arguably one of his favorite places. So we played sink or float. I gathered some random toys from the myriad locations that they land around the house. I tried to get an even number of things that would sink and things that would float. I also wanted to put a couple things on there that would float when empty (the large red train car pop bead and the lady bug squirt toy) but sink when water got in them. Here are all of the sink or float test toys.
 
 
We handed Sam each toy and asked if he thought it would float or sink.




He's really starting to get into it now!
 

 
A couple of the items I thought would sink floated (Daniel Tiger and the purple car). When we ran out of toys on the tray he asked for more so I grabbed some Duplos and sponges,  because that's what was within reach, and we kept going.

 
I was kind of surprised by the activity's results. Sam was right better than half the time and more importantly wanted to know why some things float and some sink. While a two he's not ready for discussions about mass, volume, density, etc., it got his wheels turning and that's what I wanted, to get him thinking about how, and why, things work the way they do. Plus, it was FUN! Even cleaning up was fun. We used the muffin tin from Monday night's tub painting so that the toys would be able to dry out well before putting them away.
 

He loved trying to fit all of his fun toys into the spaces in the muffin tin. I loved watching his mind work. AND, we already had everything to play with right in the house. I adore free fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment