Monday, July 21, 2014

Weekend Top 5 Recap

Does anything really turn out just as we thought it would? This weekend was another small lesson, for me, in living in the moment.
 
1) I got the extra big boy undies I intended to get. Sam is still in love with his big boy undies. We only gave the undies with no pull up two long-ish chances this weekend. One he succeeded in, one he didn't. In honor of how good he is doing, Saturday was HIS day. That's part of the reason that we didn't get lots of chances to try the undies with no pull ups combo. We went to Chuck's House (Chuck E. Cheese) for lunch and games and then Toys R Us for a new laser gun. Some of my friends think I'm crazy to love Chuck E. Cheese but Sam's happiness there makes it totally worth it and I sort of love it for the skee ball and "shovel" games too. Thank goodness for their salad bar so I was able to keep close to healthy.
 
Monster teeth are awesome!

Dancing "if" Chuck.


Yep, he's a blur when he's cutting a rug!
 
2) Jeff was a good boy in high school. There was NO DIRT!!!!! Not even an ex-girlfriend to eyeball or any rivalries still pending, :). I did meet some lovely people from his graduating class and it was a kick watching them remember their school years together. They even went through their 6th grade time capsule that none of them had seen since 1988. That was kind of cool and really sweet. In addition to no dirt............there was no adult beverage choice. Now that's not the only reason, or even one of the top reasons we went, but come on, it's date night. We got a baby sitter. Luckily, right on the way home (and only 3 blocks from home should we overdo it) is a hopping little nightspot. I slipped a little but it was worth it!
 
Gator tail and whiskey. Om nom nom!
 
3) I didn't quite finish The Language of Flowers. I'm close enough that I'll definitely finish by Saturday and it's a tough one to put down, but I just didn't make it. Imagine how different your world would be if you grew up in the foster system, completely detached, regularly neglected, abused, shuffled around, and constantly disappointed. What if your only meaningful way of communicating was through the language of flowers and their meanings? It's beautifully written, both tragic and triumphant at the same time. If you like to read, make sure to put this book in your queue.
 
4) Because of the business of the weekend, I didn't get the letter written that I meant to write to my new pen pal. I'm sure she'll understand being a mother herself. I'm going to try to hammer it out on my lunch hour and tonight after Sam is asleep. I think one of my favorite things about life is that it's almost never too late. I always wanted a pen pal as a kiddo but for whatever reason never did anything about it until now, 30 years later.
 
5) I got my toiletries started but nothing else done for packing. It's not the end of the world. I DO still have 10 days. I was just being an overly excited, overachiever. I did build a lay-out for packing this morning that I think will make it much easier when it comes time to  put the clothes into the suitcase. I must admit, I totally stole the idea for the layout from my friend Tristan's blog. You should check her out HERE. She's got great travel, beauty, and fashion tips and ideas!
 
Steal this packing planner!
 
AND, my mommy center/built in bookshelves/organizing area that Jeff is building for me is coming along. I can't wait to have a space for my laminator, printer, Cricut, project books and binders and office supplies!
 

It's going to be rad!
 
Back to that living in the moment comment from right at the beginning of the post. I'm not great at it. I'm always planning something or thinking about the next something that's going to happen. Thankfully, because of my church classroom and our reading yesterday of Mindful Monkey Happy Panda, I was reminded again to slow down, BE in the moment. Do I think it'll always happen? No. Will I work harder in the important moments like alone time with Jeff and Sam? YES!!!!! Thanks 2-5 year olds for reminding this grown up of a simple but important lesson! Don't just read this book to you kiddos, read it for all of you!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. What a great weekend! I'm glad your mommy center is coming along. I can't wait to see the finished product!! And I'm glad to see that my packing post didn't come off as a totally-nutso-OCD-crazy-lady's idea of how to pack well!! Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one more thing to add to my totally nutso-OCD-crazy-lady arsenal!

      Delete