Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I DO Deserve To Take Me Time, I DO Deserve To Feel Pretty, I DO Deserve To Be Pampered, I DO, I DO

I deserve to take me time. I deserve to feel pretty. I deserve to be pampered.
I didn't always believe this. Because I didn't always believe it but wanted to, it became my mantra. I needed it to become my mantra for a few reasons.
 
1) Somewhere along my life, possibly during my poor grad student days, possibly as a result of crappy boyfriends who I let F up my feelings about myself, possibly as a result of some weird, I have no idea where it came from, deep seated belief that money will just stop coming somehow, I stopped treating myself.
 
2) I like my face, and my husband thinks I'm gorgeous, but I don't think I fit into a category of a "face that launched a thousand ships" by any stretch of the imagination. So maybe it was about not working on something that was not already above average. I'm over this. The ladies who get paid to be beautiful GET PAID TO BE BEAUTIFUL. I enjoy being cute, enhancing it in every way I can (hellllllooooooo Sephora and Redkin hair dye), and not being under a constant critical microscope like those ladies. No wonder Gwenyth Paltrow is so judgy and awful. She's probably starving, both literally and metaphorically.
 
3) I work my ass off to create a wonderful life for my family, full of love, fun, hugs, kisses, adventure, delicious home-cooked meals, and a (fairly) clean and (mostly) organized home, all while working a full time job outside of the home, being the best daughter I can be, and spending time with friends when I can.
 
4) I just get busy.
 
If you see elements of yourself in any of the above list, I think it's likely that you too need to get an appointment somewhere, with some beauty professional, and GET PRETTY. It doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to be for you. I got my toes done, for $25 on my lunch hour last week, and it was sweet. Trashy TV was on in the salon, and I didn't have to make conversation, no one needed me to answer a call, help with a project, change their diaper, or "watch dis mooooooooom". Plus, to answer the "but what if we run out of money and lose our house", crazy person who pokes my brain sometimes, I seriously doubt a $25 pedicure will result in house foreclosure or vehicle repossession, sheesh!
 
I got me time. I got to do something that made me feel pretty. I got to be pampered. AND, I only took 45 minutes out of the go-go-go rest of my day!
 
P.S. If you're a stay at home mom and don't get a lunch hour, I hope you have a mom, a sister, a friend, someone, who will gladly hold, or take, your kiddo(s) for 1 hour while you find a little Zen. If it were me, I'd totally take them. We love playdates!

No comments:

Post a Comment