Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Worth The Risk Of Ruining The Surprise!

I'm too excited to not post this project even though it hasn't actually been given to the recipient yet.
 
Today is my friend Erica's birthday. Erica really appreciates the simple things in life. It's absolutely one of her best qualities, of which she has TONS. She is also a teacher. This makes her even more kick ass! She moved into a new house earlier this year and then last month, her boyfriend Lyn moved in with her. I figured they are still trying to combine, and find room for, two houses worth of stuff in their new combined home. As such, I didn't want to get her a tchotchke that would just take up more room so I decided to make her a bag that she could carry her teachery things in when school starts back in August. 
 
 
I chose green because it's her favorite color. I used three different colors of acrylic paint to add interest. I used an apple that was just south of still being good to make the apple shapes (how novel of me :), but I do like to save money where I can). The smaller pots of acrylic paints, the paint brush, and the sharpie were things that I already had.
 
Quick note: I learned from previous projects that you MUST place a trash bag or other plastic barrier between the layers so your acrylic paint doesn't bleed through.


Apple Stamped Bag
 
I literally cut the apple in half, poured the paint into a Chinese take-out container lid, dipped the apple in and stamped onto the bag. So easy, and so cute!
 
I didn't end up needing the Sharpie because I used the brown and black from the acrylic set to paint seeds on the apples. I painted leaves and stems on the apples with the tiny paintbrush to fancy up some of them up. 
 
I adore how it turned out! And look how cute it looks all wrapped up in a poster tube I had in my craft arsenal.

 
Project cost:
Bag  =  $3.37 at Wal-Mart
 8 oz paints = $2.95 each
Use of various other supplies including paint, trash bag, apple, tube, ribbon, and paint brush = ?
Total cost = under $15
 
Because Erica loves simple homemade things, I don't feel a bit bad about a great, low cost on something she'll love and use! PLUS, I get to treat her to a delicious lunch on Sunday to celebrate her birthday!
 
Friendship = Priceless
 

No comments:

Post a Comment