Friday, June 20, 2014

Finding Peace With Your Kiddos In A Hectic, Noisy World

The world can be a really hectic place for kiddos. I listen to friends and family list their children's activities and it exhausts ME! That's not to say I don't plan activities and learning opportunities for Sam. I absolutely do, and will continue to do so. However, we do something in our house that might be a little different. I plan downtime. I plan centering, peaceful, mindful moments for Sam, and for me so that we can have happier hearts and minds. There are a couple of fantastic books, and visuals that I use to help us wind down into the peaceful times that I would love to share with you.
 
Peaceful Piggy Meditation
 
Peaceful Piggy Meditation by Kerry Lee MacLean is a fantastic book about how young piggies find peace in a frustrating world through meditation. It's a really good message told by animals which Sam loves! Full of straight forward, easy-for-kids-to-understand language and blissful, vibrant, childlike images, it's one of our favorites. Purchase it HERE.

 
I found the yoga poster above at www.yogamatters.com. Karin Eklund's sweet, simple images of very basic poses are easy to understand and fun for kiddos to practice. I laminated copies of this poster for both our house, and for my classroom of 2-5 year olds at church. Sam has even made up some of his own poses and likes for us to do those together. I say, go for it!. If he's focused, having fun, and finding his own ways to have peaceful moments, I'm not going to stop him.

Peaceful Piggy Yoga
 
We liked Peaceful Piggy Meditation so much, we bought Kerry Lee MacLean's Peaceful Piggy Yoga too. More of MacLean's beautiful illustrations show simple poses to help you and your little find peace in a noisy world. Purchase your copy HERE.

Mindful Monkey, Happy Panda
 
Mindful Monkey, Happy Panda by Lauren Alderfer is a new favorite that I just found last week. This wonderful picture book introduces the powerful practice of mindfulness in a fun and exciting way. Monkey is not so mindful, always jumping from one task to the next and never living in, or enjoying, the moment. Panda helps Monkey recognize the simple joy of doing what you're doing while you're doing it. Purchase it HERE.
 
Whatever your books, tools, quiet time rituals, or routine, I believe all of us benefit when we teach our kids to relax, focus, be calm and peaceful, and enjoy the moment. I love it even more because when I'm helping him find these moments, I get to have the moments too.
 
Namaste
 

No comments:

Post a Comment